Posted by admin
on October 14, 2010 in Green Tips
| 0 comments
A while ago I got my hands on a lovely little gadget called the Energy Saving Power Meter that measures the energy use and calculates costs of running household appliances. The manufacturer claims that the meter helps you lower the power bill and reduce carbon emissions by letting you discover which appliances are the worst energy offenders and then work out ways to limit their use or in other words, get rid of them.
The consmption meter by Energenie is a reality check or a wake-up call, if you wish. It makes you think and that’s what is really good about the device. The most important conclusions that I affirmed while testing this intricate gadget was:
- Eco-friendly lightbulbs are not just a fad. They DO save energy and money!
- Devices left on standby continue consuming energy at a rate of 20 to 60 per cent from what they’d use when in operation. Crikey! Why would anyone want to pay for what he doesn’t use?
- My 5-year old British made Hoover A-class washing machine consumes less energy than the majority of 2010 made in China washing machines of the same class. So, before you bite the advertising hook again and change your appliances every two years to a “newer improved model”, think again. If you manage to get hold of a European made appliance, even if it’s a couple of years old, it will be a better choice compared to badly made mainstream junk.
So, as far as the Energenie consumption meter is concerned, I’d recommend every family to have one. Not only it is educational fun for children, it also lets you perform an energy check of you own house and discover the main money leaks.
I really like this little gadget and I’m going to offer you a chance to get one as a competition prize.
Update: The competition has been closed due to abuse. They’ve learned to spoof their IP addresses. I’ll keep the gadget in my drawer until I figure out how to ensure only genuine people take part in the competiotions
- Paper Consumption Statistics – Scary!
- Unplug it and Save Millions